Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Annoyed

I'm so annoyed, about several things, but mostly because I'm out here in California all week in training for work. After my fabulous lesson last Monday, I was only able to ride Jeeves two more times. I hacked him out on Tuesday--he had been working so hard, he needed a light ride to just stretch out. Then, Thursday, we did an easy ring work day. It started pouring rain on Friday and it was still raining Monday when I left. So, we're getting another week without riding. Sigh. Oh, well, I keep reminding myself that I need the job to pay for this hobby.

The other annoyance is the farrier. He was supposed to be out Monday at 8:30. Since I wasn't going to be there, I arranged for Terri to be there and, also, Jenn came out to hold the babies, since they're still a bit anxious about the farrier handling them. He NEVER showed up!! Terri called him left him 2 v-mails on Sunday just to confirm that he was coming out. She called him several times on Monday. Argh! I'm not sure if anyone has even heard from him, yet. I've been so busy with the training and then catching up with my projects when not in training I haven't had a chance to call anyone.

What is is with farriers?! He's a good farrier. It's hard to find a good farrier out in the boonies where I am. But, he does have a reliability problem. Usually, he will call, but sometimes he'll just show up hours late. He's never just not shown up at all, so I am a little worried that something happened to him.

Oh, well, hopefully, he'll get out there....soon. Grumble.

2 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

I've found that some farriers can be prima donas. Lately the last two we have had are wonderful and show up or call when they will be a little late. Hope your guy finally made it out.

billie said...

I've heard similar horror stories about farriers.

When I first bought Keil Bay, the farrier at the boarding barn came out to pull his hind shoes b/c of a barn rule - and he got there early and I found him in the field with my horse and the shoes already off.

I wasn't too pleased with that, and let him know I always wanted to be there when my horse was being worked on. We set up an appt. for shoeing for the next week, and he didn't show.

I figured that was a terrible sign, so I called a few people and got the name of the best farrier I could find - he wasn't taking new clients but I called and BEGGED. He took us on, and we kept him until we moved out of his area. He was wonderful - he came out to our new farm for six months and HE scheduled the new farrier who took over, called me to confirm, and then called the day after to make sure I was happy with the new one.

The new one was equally reliable and good, but now we are all barefoot and I switched to a trimmer who is teaching me about trimming. He is even more reliable - in that he always calls the night before to remind me he's coming, and if he will be even 5 minutes late he calls to say so.

We're pretty lucky. I would never put up with no shows - but there are a LOT of folks here to choose from, and they all know it, so... I guess they have to be professional to keep the work.