Monday, October 20, 2008

Winter's Coming

We've had a real weather change the last few days. Hard frosts up here. This morning it was 26 degrees when I got up. Brrrr! I actually like this. I much prefer the cooler weather to the oppressive heat and humidity of summer. The horses like it, too. They've been running around their paddocks, kicking up their heels and just having a grand ol' time! No bugs to bother them.

The only thing I don't like about the cooler weather is the shorter daylight hours. :-( My alarm goes off before 5:00 am every day and it's sooo dark now. It makes it harder to get out of bed in the mornings. And, it's very hard to walk three dogs in the pitch black. When it was just 2, I could carry a flashlight, but with the 3 of them, it's too hard. So, I've taken to checking my e-mail and doing a little bit of work before I head out to walk the dogs. Then, when I get back from walking, I feed and turn out the horses. By that time, the sun is just dragging itself over the horizon.

I haven't started blanketing, yet. I go through this every year--to blanket or not to blanket? The last two winters we've had more ice than snow, so my riding has been limited to mostly walking. Had I known that, I could have NOT clipped Jeeves and not blanketed. But, you just don't know. I start out the winter with hopes of being able to ride. If there's enough snow cover that gives me decent footing in the ring and I can do trot and canter work. Can't do alot--have to keep his strides shorter and more collected. He sweats alot, so if I do much work, he needs to be clipped. Decisions, decisions.

Of course, the way work has been, I haven't ridden in over a week now. I'm very upset about that, but i've just had conference calls and deadlines and just haven't been able to eek out a block of time long enough for a ride. I even worked over the weekend--and it was a glorious autumn weekend. Oh, well. There's always next weekend. And, in this declining economy, I'm just happy that I have a job.

8 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

The blanketing decision is always a hard one. I think we won't blanket, except for the Arabian mare, she's old and doesn't have much hair. I like the cooler weather too, but like you don't like the shorter daylight hours. Can't they do something about that? Cooler temps and longer days would be so much nicer.

billie said...

I blanketed the other night when it was 34 degrees. I tend to blanket below 40 but probably don't need to!

They all have the single weight sheets though, not the heavier ones.

Glad you're back - I've missed reading your posts!

AnnL said...

Grey Horse Matters -- Yes, some horses need to be blanketed and usually the older ones have a harder time regulating their body temps. My friend had a TB mare who would start to shiver if it was below 60 and rainy. But, Jeeves is pretty sturdy and would only need it if I decide to clip. Although, today it's so cold and raw, I'm tempted to put a rain sheet on him.

Billie, I recall reading in Equus several years ago that the ideal temperature range for horses (meaning the range in which they do not expend any extra calories for heating or cooling) is from 20 to 60. I was surprised that it went so low and also suprised that over 60 they needed to expend extra energy for cooling.

Most horses don't need it, but if the horse is in regular work, then I definately think it helps to keep their muscles warm.

billie said...

Ann, it's obvious with my herd that they like being w/o blankets when it's in the low 40s - and I suspect they are fine on down to the 20s if there is no wind/rain.

The good thing now that we have them here with us is we can blanket late, when the temps really start to drop, and I can unblanket early, before the morning sun warms them up too much. They will line up when I go out to remove the blankets, when it's just at or near 40 in the mornings, so I know they want them off!

An interesting aside - the very furry Shetland-x pony, who probably never needs a blanket but gets one with the others because we just can't help ourselves, has been recommended by our acupuncturist vet to wear a quarter blanket while under saddle, to keep his hips warm while he's working. I hadn't really thought of using a quarter blanket for that express purpose (duh!) but it makes me want one for Keil Bay too. He's out there shaking his big Hanoverian head at this, but I think those quarter sheets look very spiffy. :)

AnnL said...

Billie -- Yes, the quarter sheets are very spiffy looking! I'll bet both Keil Bay and the pony will look very snazzy in them. It probably will help the pony's hip--good idea.

It's probably not as much of any issue for you down there as it is up here in the frozen north, but the polar fleece can get quite staticy when it's really cold and dry. Jeeves HATES static. Really, really HATES it. A wool one is not in the budget, so I don't use a quarter sheet.

billie said...

Oh dear, I found a place that custom makes not only wool quarter sheets, but wool RIDING SKIRTS that double as quarter sheets when you spread the back of the skirt over horses rear!

This might be a Christmas gift for me and the Big Bay, for winter. :)

AnnL said...

Oooh, wool riding skirts! VERY nice Christmas present! Many years ago I leased a horse that had a wool quarter sheet. On those really cold winter days when I hacked him out instead of working, I would wrap the ends of the quarter sheet around my thighs instead of going under the saddle. Kept me nice and warm. :-)

You know, you could share the info, just in case my budget frees up someday... ;-)

billie said...

Narrow Gate Tack - dot com. :)