Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Dutch's New Home



In July of 2007, I got an e-mail about a male Malinois in the RISPCA shelter. I went down there to check him out and found a scrawny but sweet dog. I pulled him from the shelter and brought him home. He was depressed, confused...can't blame him. You live with someone for 4 years and then get dumped in a shelter--I'ld be depressed and confused, too. However, his sweet nature became apparent pretty quickly. I fell in love with him, although the last thing I needed was a third dog. And, I would have kept him, but Riley, my 12 yo male, hated him. I had to keep a close eye on the two of them to make sure Riley didn't attack him. Plus, his energy clashed with Riley's energy and they fed into each other's hysteria. So, I kept him listed for adoption.

It took a long time, but the right home finally came along. A young couple who had lost their last Mal to cancer a little over a year ago applied to adopt him. They have no children, which is a good thing with him. I think he would be OK with kids, but he gets excited and would knock them over. Plus, he gets excited and barks and might scare friends of the kids. So, he needed to go to a home with no children. They don't mind that he's middle-aged and they weren't concerned about all his medical issues. While he was with me he was diagnosed with hypo-thyroid and allergies to all sorts of things. Easily managed, but alot of people didn't want to deal with it. Which is fine. It has to be the right home for the right dog. I brought him down to to meet them and they loved him. Last Thursday, Rebecca came and picked him up and took him home.



Apparently, he's settling in well. I miss him terribly, but it's much better for him to be in a home where he can be King. And not have to worry about Riley attacking him. He can play with his toys inside the house, something that I couldn't allow here because Riley will try to hoard the toys and would attack Dutch if he tried to play with any. :-( Things are alot quieter here, which I do appreciate. I am enjoying the calm. Lyca misses playing with him. But, I do miss that handsome face that was always there whenever I turned around.

This is the hardest part of working with animal rescue. Letting them go. But, if you don't let them go, you can't help the next one that comes along. It will take me a while to recover from Dutch--he was a special one. I will take in another foster...eventually. Hopefully, a female that Riley will tolerate better. :-) For now, Lyca and Riley are getting extra hugs and lots of treats.

4 comments:

billie said...

I'm glad he's found the perfect home for him. He's so handsome!

RuthWells said...

Aw. Very bittersweet, indeed.

Deejbrown said...

Loving an animal seems to be both reward and punishment at the same time, doesn't it? Yet there should be more people in the world like you, who go out of their way to care for an innocent animal.
Nice blog--I'll be back!

Grey Horse Matters said...

That's wonderful that he found the right home for him. I would have a hard time giving him up, what a cute face and you can see in his eyes that he's a nice guy, willing to love anyone who loves him back. You're a good soul for working with the rescues to find homes for the unwanted, even if it's hard to give them up.