Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Winter Riding Woes



This was what my riding arena looked like on Christmas day. The weekend before Christmas we it snowed for 3 days, with a total of 2 feet of beautiful, fluffy snow. Of course, the two days after the snow stopped it was bitter cold--single digits with wind chills well below 0. I wimped out and didn't ride. Then, Christmas Eve day it rained. And, this is what the rain did to all that beautiful snow. Sigh.




Even though he has his winter shoes on, I wasn't going to ride him on that ice. But, I DID get on! Finally. It had been almost 2 months since I got on and I was darn well going to ride on Christmas! All I did was walk around my property, picked our way over some downed limbs. We half passed up and down my driveway. We went a little way up the road, but I was worried about kids with their dirt bikes and ATVs. So, we didn't go too far. But, I got him marching forward with a nice swing through his back. He stretched his head and neck out nicely. When turned him back to the barn, he didn't want to go. He enjoyed our little outing. He's the only horse I've ever ridden that doesn't try to turn around to go home. OK, he does prefer hacking out to the ring work, but he enjoys the ring work, also.

It was so nice to get back on him, even though all we did was walk. I miss riding him. I hope I can get back into a routine of riding. Sunday the temps got near 60 and all that ice melted. Today, we're getting 6-8" of snow, so that will be perfect for riding. Tomorrow is supposed to be pretty cold, but maybe I can bundle up and get a ride in. It will be a good way to start the new year.

5 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

It doesn't matter that you only walked, at least you got to ride. I hope you get one in for New Year's too. Have a happy, healthy and fun New Year.

billie said...

Yay! Keil Bay would definitely agree that half-passing down the drive is much better than across the arena. :)

Here's hoping you get in a ride tomorrow - me too! I didn't today, with the wind gusting so, but it was technically the 4th day (normally I try to ride 3 days on, 1 day off) so the timing worked out okay.

Happy New Year!!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I'm hoping you'll get that ride in. Happy New Year!

RuthWells said...

I think we need to see a portrait of you on Jeeves in the snow! ; )

Deejbrown said...

I can't think of a better way to start the New Year, or a new day for that matter!