Monday, January 5, 2009

Reflections on a Wasted Talent


Ok, so I'm not doing any riding, I might as well do some posts on thoughts about training. I'll start with one on a situation that really has saddened me. Several years ago, Jeeves's companion here was a very nice 2 yo Dutch gelding. He was really nice--very athletic, great mover, rather hot. But, he was good about listening to me when I was handling him, even if there was something spooky around, he always behaved when I had him in hand. His owner was not very experienced with horses/riding, but I thought her intentions were to send him off for a year of training when he turned 3 yo. That was a good plan and one that I think would have worked well for the both of them. Even though he was a hot little guy, he wanted to be good, and he wanted to learn things. So, with a year of professional training, he would have been in a good spot for his owner to start riding WITH regular instruction.
However, as is often the case, things did not go as planned. For several reasons, the owner decided to start working with him on her own. He arrived here in September and at that time he had been "started". I think that was 60 days with a professional trainer who did mostly in hand work with him and only got in a few rides before he came here. So, he came here in September, nothing was done with him, except for me doing basic handling like leading, hoof picking, etc., all fall and winter. In March, his owner started coming out to "work" with him. Instead of lunging him, she starts out long lining him. No surcingle, just the reins coming off the bit, and through the stirrups. I know that's not the worst thing and it can work fine with a horse than understands about contact with the bit. I would never do that with a baby!
I was out inthe paddock cleaning up manure, not really paying attention to what she was doing until out of the corner of my eye I saw a flash of movement by the arena. The horse was flying backwards out of the edge of the arena, onto the hill that borders my driveway which is covered with rocks. Eeek! She was standing in front of him, PULLING ON THE REINS! Which, since the reins were looped through the stirrups, was basically pulling him BACKWARDS! Eeeek! I dropped the pitchfork and ran over there. She had no whip, so I took my jacket off, got behind him and sent him forward by waving my jacket at him. He lept back into the ring and started trotting around again--head up, back hollow, eyes white rimmed. Every once in a while, he would stop dead in his tracks. Then, leap back into a trot. She had no whip. The stirrups were flopping about, knocking his teeth with every stride. Ack!
When I suggested a lunge whip, she refused saying he was "plenty forward". I tried to explain the difference between "forward" and flying around, out of control, stopping on his own, and backing up every once in a while. With a whip, she could prevent the sudden stops and the flying backwards. I also suggested a surcingle but she refused saying that he had never had a surcingle on and she didn't want to introduce a new piece of equipment. :-( Ok, I thought to myself. She doesn't want to introduce new equipment but she doesn't mind that her horse is flying around out of control, backing up over the edge of the ring and basically learning all sorts of bad things.
When she was done, I told her that my instructor would be happy to come over and work with her a few times to help her get him re-started with lunging and long lining. She said she was "very particular" about who worked with her horse and she didn't know my trainer so she didn't want to use her. Trainers that she already knew wouldn't come out this far. I can understand being particular about trainers, but it's not like I was suggesting sending her off to someone. She would have been there, learning how to handle him, and helping him gain confidence.
She really blew my mind when she said that her horse "had an amateur owner and she was going to make mistakes, so he was going to have deal with that"! I almost fainted right there. I managed to calmly, if tersely, say that I, also, an am amateur owner and I considered it my responsibility to have professional assistance to minimize the number and severity of my mistakes! I had never heard such a thing before! I know we all have different theories about trianing and the specific details, etc. But, to be so arrogant as to expect your baby horse to deal with your mistakes?! Huh?
As you can probably guess, I asked her to leave shortly after that. She came out one more time with similarly disastrous results. I could see this was not going anywhere good. The stopping and backing up was going to result in a horse that reared. Totally unnecessary, as he was basically a sweet horse who wanted to cooperate. I spent many nights struggling with this. This was all going on during my divorce and one of my ex's complaints was that I was a control freak and everything had to be my way. So, that was haunting me during this. But, after much thinking and worrying and angsting, I concluded it wasn't a control thing as much as I just didn't want to witness or participate in the disaster that was unfolding.
Over the last couple of years, I would occasionally hear about them. Not good things. One of my favorite instructors worked with them in a few clinics. Apparently, things were not going well. The trainer told the owner that she needed help and suggested a local trainer who could ride the horse for her and give her more regular lessons. Owner didn't follow through as the local trainer was too expensive. :-( Sigh. The trainer also suggested sending going back to the original plan and send the horse up to her for a year's training. But, that was too expensive and the owner wanted to be riding him. The story continues, much the same with the horse's behaviour getting slowly, steadily worse. She did try to get someone else to ride, but it wasn't someone who had lots of experience with young horses or with hot horses. And, by the time she did that, things had gotten even worse.
Sadly, I just heard last month that the horse is for sale because he's rearing and is dangerous. What a waste. All because of, what? Her ego? It's one thing not to listen to me. I'm not a professional, she had no reason to listen to my training advice. That was fine. But, to be paying a well-known, well respected, talented trainer and ignore her advice is appalling. What I find most upsetting, though, is that it's the horse that paying the price for her mistakes and her ego! The horse is now considered dangerous. If he's lucky, someone talented and patient will get him and rehab him. But, the odds are stacked against him. This owner has most likely started him down thise road where this cycle will repeat for him, again and again. I've seen it too damn many times. I take no satisfaction in being proven right. I would have loved nothing more than to see them at a show.
This just makes me so angry because there is no need for it. It's a senseless waste of what was a talented a horse. Why do people think they can train babies themselves? It's a very rare amateur who can really deal with a baby (and I'm not implying that I am one of those rare people! Not at all!!) Babies need a confident rider/handler who can give them the confidence they need. They need someone who is quick enough--both physically and mentally--to prevent the horse from doing something other than what he's supposed to be doing. To prevent or short circuit those sudden stops or leaps or whatever the baby might throw at the rider, both in hand and under saddle. They don't mean to be bad, they're just figuring things out, learning what they can do. And, ego never has any place when working with horses (or any animal) and especially babies.
Is it the breeder's fault for not "vetting" the buyer out better? But, he can only go by what the buyer says. Her plan was a good one--send him off to a good, well known trainer for a year of training. But, somehow, that all changed. And, the horse gets the short end of the deal.
Ok, enough venting...for now.
Another ice storm is on it's way, due in tomorrow night, early Wed. They are saying there are likely to be power outages. Ack. Well, I am prepared. I have enough food for all of us to survive a couple of weeks. But, please, I hope we don't go through another disaster like the last one. Please hold a good thought for us.

9 comments:

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Anne - Thanks for this story and your perspective on it. I haven't decided if I'm going to start Gabbrielle myself or send her off to a trainer. I do worry that I may not know as much as I should, and without a mentor there's really no way for me to know what knowledge I am missing. On the other hand, everyone has to start training a horse at some point otherwise we wouldn't have horse training professionals.

I used to worry about allowing others to train my horses, because I didn't want them to mess my horses up in the head. I especially didn't want them beating them to get results. One of the trainers I have used is notorious for charging $750 a month for training and just leaving the horse in a stall during the majority of that time. She didn't even start lunging my horse until the 3rd week, and finally mounted the 4th week. And that was with a horse that had already been started by another trainer. I hate to see my money go to waste. Nothing makes me angrier than to check a horse in for a month of training only to find out that the trainer will be away showing other people's horses at shows the majority of the month. I'm not paying $750 a month for hay and board.

My other argument in favor of training my horse myself is that I'd like to have the experience. Perhaps I can find a trainer who will do it in tandem with me and be my mentor. Your story is scary though. I'd hate to be responsible for ruining a good horse.

billie said...

Ann, first off, sending good thoughts for mild weather your way!

The scenario you described is so sad, and all too common. I recently came very close to taking an 11-year old Hanoverian gelding from Germany, branded, beautiful, and un-rideable, due to very dangerous behavior that got instilled during bad training somewhere along the line.

The owner who imported him was going to have him put down after 3 separate trainers deemed him un-rideable and un-fixable. But the final trainers fell in love with him - he was apparently a sweetheart on the ground, just not under saddle, and they bought him from the owner so they could have a chance to find him a non-riding home. I was going to use him as a therapy horse. But someone needed a companion for their single horse, and he went to them, with my blessing.

We bought two young horses (Cody, the QH, and the Shetland pony) but both were going fully under saddle and lunged perfectly already. Even so, we had to be very careful to remain consistent with both of them so they wouldn't learn bad habits. I don't think I would ever try to train a baby myself, although I can fully imagine being unwilling to send the baby off to someone.

Fortunately we do have access to many good trainers locally, most of whom would come out here and ride/teach with us. We have one trainer who comes over to help us teach Cody to jump. I don't trust myself with distances and strides and gymnastics, and don't want to mess him up by setting up incorrect obstacles. It's worth the cost to get a good foundation on him, and give him the best shot at being successful over the little jumps so he can go safely over bigger ones.

I recently learned that my dream dressage trainer is now willing to come to us, at a reduced rate, even, due to the economy and her commitment to teaching classical dressage/training methods. I hope to start work with her in the spring.

At one point we had an extra stall, and a number of my horsey friends suggested I take in a boarder to help with expenses. I was afraid to do so, b/c what if the boarder turned out to do things I couldn't live with? I'm glad you set the limits you did.

Our acupuncturist vet spent a very short time breeding Hanoverians but stopped when she realized that most of the buyers were not going to live up to her standards of care for the horses she had carefully bred, raised, and started.

I join you in venting.

Deejbrown said...

Oh, how many times I have witnessed good horses go sour because of lofty human egos and misplaced pride. These animals suffer forever. I wish I could offer a safe haven for these creatures to live out their lives according to what they are: Horses. Maybe some day the Universe will open that door for me and others to put some things back in alignment.
Stay safe and warm and cozy tonight. Good thoughts coming your way!

RuthWells said...

What a sad story. Poor horse.

I hope you don't get slammed by the weather again -- you deserve a break!

AnnL said...

billie -- I'ld love to know who your dream instructor is??? I have toyed with the idea of moving to NC (usually during the winters up here) and there is a dressage trainer in NC that I would love to ride with. If I ever were to make the move to NC, I would have to move close to where she is.

And, you'll have to post about your lessons with her when you start!!

billie said...

Cindy Sydnor. I would have been there already but she doesn't currently have school horses, so I'd need to haul the Big Bay to her place, and while our trailer could hold him in an emergency, it is not really big enough for regular hauling. He self-loads and is a sweetheart to haul and I don't want to mess that up by stuffing him in our current trailer.

Who is your dream trainer? My gosh - there's a house and 10 acres for sale right across the lane from us. A pool and a pond. A lovely "barn" - not finishing for horses but I bet you could easily do that. And no fencing, but lots of good clear acres for pasture.

Not to mention nice horsey neighbors who will exchange horse-sitting services with you. :)

AnnL said...

billie -- What a small world--Cindy Sidnor is the trainer I would need to be able to ride w/if I were to ever move to NC. Classical, kind, funny! I've never had the pleasure of riding with her but did scribe for her once. She's a hoot and I learned alot.

Hmmmm, so how much is that 10 acres for sale for? I don't think I could survive your summers...

billie said...

That is funny - it is a small world.

Cindy did an ongoing lecture series last winter at our local tack shop, and this year is going to do a book club/lecture series for us.

I recently got info that my daughter's current dressage trainer is raising her fees (she does have school horses) and that Cindy is lowering hers, to help serious dressage riders continue their training even as all the other costs of owning horses goes up. And that she will travel now. She is very committed to the classical style, and I LOVE how she keeps her horses. They are kept very naturally and allowed to 'be horses' - no stalling the upper level mounts to keep them clean/safe/accessible. They live out with their herd.

I don't know what you'd make of the summers here. This past one was really mild for us. I think it's an even trade - summers for winters. There is rarely a month here when you can't comfortably ride. Even when it's hot, if you're willing to ride early in the morning, you can do so w/o sweating.

Grey Horse Matters said...

The poor horse. I've seen this happen too many times over the years. I can't tell you how many 'bad' horses my daughter has retrained. The best part of the retraining was the owners always wanted to know why it took so long. No one realizes just how long it takes to train a horse in the first place, but to retrain one with bad habits takes even longer. This horse you describe sounds like a cute little baby who needed professional training, certainly not what he got. I hope he finds a good home, I would take him myself if I had an extra stall. Such a shame egos get in the way and the horse suffers for it and gets branded for behaviors that are not his fault.
In my opinion(and I have plenty of them) if you can't afford to have a horse trained professionally and correctly as a baby, then get an older horse that has already been there. Leave the young ones to the professionals. Which by the way I am not, so I would never attempt to train a young horse, except for ground manners.Wait a minute this is turning into a rant, sorry. I get so mad about this kind of thing.