Friday, January 16, 2009

The Cold is Here!



It was COLD this morning. Temp outside my kitchen window was -10F. Coldest it's been here since 2005. I bundled up in many layers before venturing outside. The dogs and I had a quick, if somewhat abbreviated walk. We normally do at least 2 miles, but given the conditions, I decided a mile was enough.


It was so cold, the horses had a layer of frost on their hair. Jeeves looks like he's wearing white mascara. :-) They don't seem to mind. When I went out to feed them, both he and Lance were standing outside their stalls, happy as can be. Thankfully, there's not much wind.


I put their hay out and Jeeves went right out, happily munching on the hay while the sun struggled to rise above the horizon. They are eating more hay than they normally eat. The girls are eating almost twice as much. The boys aren't getting quite that much, but they have the benefit of blankets to help keep them warm. Plus, they can go in their stalls over night.



If they want to. They seem to prefer to stand outside, though. The girls have the run-in shed and they'll stay in there if it's really nasty out. But, mostly, they hang out in the open, also.



Riley helped me with morning chores today. He kept a watch on things to make sure everyone behaved.


After about an hour out there, I was starting to get cold, so Riley and I headed inside for the warmth of the woodstove.

7 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

It was -14 at the farm this morning. All of our herd went out, blanketed. Unless it's really nasty with wind and water, they get very vocal about staying in. I'm sure it's better to be out in their minds than stuck in a nice warm stall. I can't blame them.
I'm really hoping this warms up soon, I've had enough. Stay warm.

jme said...

ug! it got well below zero here today too, but the horses were all troopers and went out anyway. they prefer to be outside most of the time too - there's not stopping them! as for me,i can't remember it ever being this cold and i can't wait for it to be over!

your frosty pony pictures are amazing, most of all because the horses don't even seem to notice! here's hoping for some warm weather in our future!

billie said...

Jeeves' white mascara is amazing! My gosh!

It is 6 degrees here this morning. Of course we have no snow or ice, but they say we might get some precip tomorrow afternoon.

Stay warm. I know you northern folk are ready for a break and I hope you get one SOON.

Grey Horse Matters said...

If you're in the mood for a refreshing summertime award, please stop by and pick it up at my blog.

Rising Rainbow said...

Looking at the frost on the horse's eyelashes, I can't help but wonder how that feels to the horse. Those hairs are so sensitive, I'd think it would be bothersome. I suppose it accumulates so slowly they don't notice....... I know, sometimes I think weird stuff! LOL

Robynn's Ravings said...

Oh I know it's cold but oh my goodness those are incredible pictures. Thanks for posting them. I love the overcast sky to go with it. I was never much for sun and snow together. What a view you must have. AHhhhhh. (And what a good horse mama!)

Deejbrown said...

Haven't heard from you in too long a time.
Are you okay?