Sunday, June 21, 2009

Bad Blogger


I've been a very bad blogger. I guess I don't really qualify as a blogger at all. I have lots of excuses...


First, my usual excuse--work was taking too much time and energy. Since I wasn't riding much through the winter, I wasn't inspired much to blog about anything back then.

Then, my personal computer died. My company has installed all sorts of tracking software, so I couldn't do anything on my work computer, so that left me with no personal computer access while I tried to fix my old computer, then agonized over whether to get a Mac or a PC. A new computer was definately not in my budget this year, but, such is life.


Then, we had so much rain and flooding back in March that Jeeves's stall was flooding...alot. I was carting 4 or 5 wheelbarrows full of heavy, wet, bedding out of his stall several times a day. It didn't take long for my back to go out. So, when I wasn't working, walking dogs, mucking out stalls, I was lying flat on my back on the floor. Not much chance of doing any blogging in that position.

Then, during all that a dear friend got sick. I ended up taking her two older TB geldings while she was in the hospital. The girls have moved up to Vermont on a big farm where they are out with a herd of 2 yos learning about herd etiquette. When my friend was released from the hospital, she came here for recuperation. She's still here, getting better, gaining strength every day.



Finally, my older brother, really the only family I have left, is bent on drinking himself to death. :-( It started last autumn when he was laid off work. Apparently, without a job, he had nothing else to do but drink. He has been spiralling out of control since then. He spent over a month in the hospital, 22 days of that in ICU. For awhile, we thought he might have to spend the rest of his life (he's 55 yo) in a locked psych ward. :-( Miraculously, he recovered enough that he was released from the hospital last Monday. He should have gone directly to a 90-day, in-house substance abuse recover program, but he refused. Said he wanted to find a day program, despite the doctors all saying he NEEDS to be in a residential program.

He managed to keep it together long enough to walk his daughter down the aisle at her wedding on Friday (yes, poor kid had to deal with this crap while preparing for her wedding). He was not allowed at the reception. But, yesterday, he pushed his wife over so that he could get his car keys (he's not supposed to drive, per doctor's orders. He's still not "normal") and he went and bought 3 quarts of vodka. The police did come and take his car keys. At this point, I told him that I am through. IF and when he decides that he needs help and agrees to go into an in-house program I will gladly pick him up and take him there. But, until then he is dead to me. His son has done the same. I told his wife she should do the same. He will just push her around again and take her car keys if she stays with him.



So, I'm done. I've lost too many days of work and too many days of riding and too many days in my garden to the lost cause that he has become. It breaks my heart, but there is nothing more that I can do for him. He has to do it.

There's more, these were just the highlights.

As is always the case, my animals, especially Jeeves, have been my solace and my sanity through all this. For now, I'll just share these pics of Jeeves and me.

8 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

I'm glad you're back. You certainly had a lot of stress to deal with over the past months.
It's good that you have Jeeves to help you through all of these problems and I hope you have many days ahead that are better than they have been.

AnnL said...

Thanks, Arlene. Horses are amazing therapists.

billie said...

I'm sorry you've had so so much on your plate. Am happy you're back and am THRILLED to see so many pics of you and Jeeves!!

He reminds me so much of Keil Bay. I just love seeing him.

And no tight cavesson! No cavesson at all! You are inspiring me. I might take Keil Bay's off and see what happens.

Give Jeeves a big hug from all of us at November Hill for doing such a good job keeping you sane! And one to you too - what a lot you've had going on.

AnnL said...

No flash, no cavesson. I first stopped the flash after my 2nd or 3rd lesson w/Kathy. I loosened it after the lesson and he stepped on it when he tried to grab some grass walking back to the barn. Kathy just told me not to bother fixing/replacing it. I stopped the cavesson after his surgery to remove that tumor under his jaw. The cavesson just hit the bottom end of the incision, so I stopped using it. Kathy said I only need it in the show ring, so I haven't bothered putting it back on. Doesn't seem to make a difference in our rides. One less thing to clean. :-)

billie said...

Keil Bay's flash lasted a while, but has been hanging on his bridle hook for years now.

He didn't like it, and I refused to make it in any way tight, so it wasn't serving us any purpose anyway!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I can so relate to this. My older brother has been an alcoholic since the age of 13. He's been in an out of all kinds of programs and therapies, and was finally deemed incurable. He calls us from time to time to tell us he's dying. We never know what to believe, because 80% of what comes out of his mouth is lies. Still he goes on living and torturing us. In fact, he has broken more bones from falling down while drunk than I have broken while riding horses.

AnnL said...

I'm sorry about your brother. It's a hideous disease.

Deejbrown said...

I am so sorry. But you are resilient and clear and focused. Not letting the pain of watching your brother in self destruct mode wreck your life too. Honey, I know it's tough. You have a lot of company out here.
You sure as hell look awesome on Jeeves! I suppose that is where your balance lies.